Briarmeadow Charter School
A 21st Century School of Choice in West Houston
Pre-Kindergarten through Eighth Grade
Peter Heinze – Principal
Pam Morris – Instructional Specialist
Sarah Hassan – Curriculum Specialist/Testing Coordinator
Jaime Hrabovsky – International Baccalaureate Coordinator
Kristin Anderson – Special Education Coordinator
Who We Are
Briarmeadow Charter School (BCS) opened in August 1997 as an educational choice for families in West Houston, specifically the Pilgrim, Briargrove, Piney Point, Emerson and Paul Revere attendance zones. BCS was founded on constructivist beliefs that welcome children in all inclusive classrooms.
BCS is the preferred school of choice for Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade students who desire to construct knowledge for themselves by offering an inquiry based approach to learning, nurturing classroom environments and a commitment to develop internationally minded students.
Our mission is to perpetuate a learning-centered environment that expects and ensures the highest level of achievement for all, through interdisciplinary and shared commitment between our educators, leadership team, parents and community, so that each and every student will be successful in a global society.
Why should you consider BCS for your children?
Briarmeadow Charter School is a candidate* school for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme and pursuing authorization as an IB World School.
IB World Schools share a common philosophy – a commitment to improve the teaching and learning of a diverse and inclusive community of students by delivering challenging, high quality programmes of international education that share a powerful vision.
For further information about the IB and its programmes, visit www.ibo.org
Mission Statement from the IB
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment. These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
*Only schools authorized by the International Baccalaureate can offer any of its four academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme or the Career-related Programme (CP). Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorization will be granted.
As an HISD charter school, BCS is able to set high standards for academic excellence while simultaneously developing the whole child. Our charter school status allows us to maintain the flexibility to implement cutting edge strategies designed to develop successful 21st century citizens.
In addition, attending BCS allows you to remain in your home and in your neighborhood while attending a progressive charter school that is a model for Pre-K through 8th grade education.
Other unique features
· Class size limited to 22 students in all grades
· Teachers loop with their classes for two school years
· Hands-on, inquiry-based instruction in all grades
· Ongoing assessments that incorporate state and local standards while going beyond to include 21st century abilities such as creativity, innovation, critical thinking, problem solving, communication and collaboration
· State of the art facility in which classrooms are grouped in clusters to support the looping approach
· All teachers are trained in Gifted and Talented and English Language Learner strategies so that every student’s learning needs are addressed by a knowledgeable and caring professional
· All students participate in music, visual arts, library, technology, Spanish and physical education
· Pre-Advanced Placement middle school that uses advanced technology immersion techniques and Pre-AP learning strategies so that students are sought after by the high schools of their choice*
*Sixth through eighth grades only
Advertising helps supplement this free website by DigitalPTO.com | Disable Ads Here